There are a number of employment rights all workers have when they start a job, but young workers – those under 18 years old – have other rights to protect them at work:
• Young workers are entitled to two days off per week.
• A daily rest break of 12 consecutive hours (the break between finishing work one day and starting work the next).
• A rest break of at least 30 minutes if the working day lasts more than 4.5 hours.
• Young workers normally will not work more than 8 hours a day and 40 hours a week.
• Young workers don’t normally work at night – however, there are some exceptions.
• Workers aged 16-17 are entitled to be paid at least the National Minimum Wage at the relevant rate.